Its time to change your air filters

Its time to change your air filters

Don’t wait another day. its got to go if its gray.

 

Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Its time to change your air filters”

  1. Thank you again, Frank. Also, I just noticed that the link above to your company page does not work. Hope you have a nice weekend.

  2. Hi Frank,
    Sorry to trouble you, but I had another question. The repair guys came out today and replaced the capacitor and put in a new “board”. ….I’m guessing the main control board, but not sure. Anyway, after they left I noticed a funny smell coming from the vents in my apartment. It wasn’t a burning smell, but maybe a plasticy / mild chemical smell. Any idea what could have caused that? I don’t know if the smell has stopped or whether I’ve just gotten used to it. I just want to make sure it’s not going to make me sick; I read somewhere that some capacitors have cancer causing chemicals, (PCB)
    PS otherwise, the unit appears to be working so far, I think it was the board that fixed it.
    PPS I mentioned multimeter to one of the guys, he seemed to have no idea what I was talking about.
    Thank you again for your help and wisdom

    1. I can’t think of any reason from the repairs that would cause any smell in your system. Most every capacitor out today is PCB free and should not be a problem. Most of the capacitors in the air handlers just die rather than break open or leak. That usually only happens with the ones outside. I think the techs may have been looking at you strange about the multimeter because they didn’t want to show their stupidity. Every tech I know has a multimeter. You have to. Otherwise they cannot diagnose a blown fuse, dead capacitor, bad circuit board or a bad pressure switch from which has the better flight ratio, African swallow or a European swallow? They would be guessing.

  3. try the capacitor it is the cheapest route. Then if it continues, and I think it still may, then it is probably a control or a safety issue.

  4. Thank you again for your response and help. Unfortunately, the unit is in a locked utility closet outside of my apartment that I do not have access to. I’m not sure if he had a multimeter with him or not but I don’t recall seeing one. Since the unit is working properly when he looks at it, he doesn’t seem to have any solution. His latest idea is to replace the capacitor because he said the fan didn’t seem to be blowing hard enough. I thought he would have something to measure the airflow coming out of the vent, but he didn’t. I wish you could walk him through what to do and then I’d send you a tip! I don’t want to insult him, he might know what he’s doing but the fact that I’ve been dealing with this issue for weeks is a bit frustrating. Thank you again for listening & for all your ideas and help!!! 🙂 If I can break in to the utility closet, I will definitely send you a picture!

  5. I cannot say definitively that is your problem. But in order to find the problem, one needs the right tools. A multimeter is a must to find out which component is not working. Then it is a matter of determining the root cause for it not working. It could be a cause effect of one problem showing itself as a symptom in another control item. He should check the amps on the blower motor, check the volts on the blower motor to make sure it is being told to turn on at the right time and that it is turning on when it is supposed to. Then check the power as it goes to the heat strips voltage). If the power is feeding the heat strips then what causes it to stop. Is it the high temp limit switch? I just don’t know without putting my hands and meter on the components. If you get a chance, can you post a picture of the wiring diagram?

  6. Thank you so much for your quick response!!! Do you think that the “high temp switch” is definitely the problem? He didn’t come with any tools other than a screwdriver and a flashlight. I live in an apartment so unfortunately I can’t pick and choose who comes to fix it. But this is the 2nd time he has come and not come up with a solution. Thank you again!!!!

  7. Hi there,
    I have a problem and I’m wondering if you can help me. I have a “Lennox MGE Series Magic-Pak” Thru the Wall Unit. Sometimes the unit works and sometimes the unit does not work. When the repair guy comes, the unit seems to always be working. He has no idea what the problem is. Here’s the issue: often, when I try to turn up the heat, the unit does its initial startup sequence and the exhaust fan turns on (for about 2 minutes) and then the whole unit just shuts off. it seems to shut off right before it’s about to start blowing hot air. Do you have any idea what could be causing this?? Also, let’s say I have the termostat set to 78…..sometimes it will maintain that temperature fine, and other times it will fall to 74…..then magically sometimes it will just start turning on and working properly for no reason…….other times it tries to turn on and then fails after that initial 2 minute sequence (shuts off right before blowing hot air out). Please help?!??
    Thank you very much for listening.

    1. I ran into this once before and it turned out to be a bad high temp switch on the heater coils. There is a small disc shaped device that has the power running to one side then out the other to the heater coil. This is supposed to trip if the blower fan doesn’t work so that the coils do not overheat and break. Then again they may be working right but the fan isn’t coming on fast enough allowing the high temp switch to shut the system down. This could be a fan motor problem (check the amps), or a control problem (check the volts). Your repair guy is right, if it isn’t happening while he is there, it will be tough to tell which control is failing. good luck.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s